【History and Overview】
The College of Bioscience and Biotechnology, NCKU was established in 2005 in response to rapid progresses in Bioscience and biotechnology. Distinguished Prof. Wen-Chang Chang at Institute of Pharmacology, also an Academician of Acedamia Sinca, was appointed as the founding Dean. Biotechnology has become one of the major focuses for the government to develop high-tech industry in the 21st century. The college includes one undergraduate department and five graduate institutes that work closely with one another and also collaborate with different disciplines include medicine, science and technology, engineering, computer science, business management, and environmental and social sciences within the university. The interdisciplinary affords enable the development of outstanding research teams in biomedical research, plant biotechnology, aquatic sciences, evolutionary and systematic biology, and ecological and environmental sciences. The college also strengthens collaborative ties with Academia Sinica Biotechnology Center in Southern Taiwan, Tainan Science and Industrial Park, and Taiwan Orchid Plantation in teaching, training, and research. The mutual cooperation among research institutes and universities nationally and internationally also allows us to enjoy the benefits of an active scientific community and access to advanced facilities for life sciences researches. All these will benefit the college in research accomplishment and gains international recognition. Ultimately, this would profit the university in international competitiveness and become the world’s top universities.
The college of Bioscience and Biotechnology (CBB) focuses on international interactive and sustainable demand of life sciences in the future on the basis of the four elements - foundation, interdisciplinary, innovation, and application to respond the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of "Zero Hunger", "Good Health and Well-being", "Quality Education", "Sustainable Cities and Communities", "Life Below Water" and "Life On Land". In order to develop students’ global competency and to pave their way to the global community, CBB designs relevant action plans.
In order to achieve the above-mentioned values and to accommodate the demand of nurture talents with international competitiveness in hard science and cutting-edge technology. CBB expects to develop into a world-leading and influential college. We have set up four major educational and academic subjects with their goals.
1.「Deepening Basic Bioscience Research」：Refinement of life science education and deepening the foundation of scientific research.
2. 「Initiating biology interdisciplinary cooperation」:Initiate and implement biology interdisciplinary collaboration between others colleges, universities and international institutes.
3. 「Enhancing the international integration of biological sciences」：To achieve the goal of practical education and research integration by through the interdisciplinary scientific research collaboration and integrated international learning.
4. 「Translational application and Sustainability implement」：Implement the global competency、sustainable principal and pave their way to the global community by translational biotechnology topic leading-in.
1. Able to apply knowledge-based technology.
2. Competence in independent thinking and judgment.
3. Skills in effective communication and problem solving.
4. Capable of multi-discipline knowledge integration and innovation.
5. Possesses teamwork spirit and leadership.
6. Aware latest trends and developments in scientific research.
7. Concern any social and environmental issues derive from application and development of biotechnology.